Sunday, October 18, 2009

Cereal ring


As hard as it is to admit, Brian usually doesn't eat my creations. :o( That doesn't stop me from creating because on some days he LOVES what I make him.....This just happens to be one of those creations. :o) Brian has been somewhat sensitive to food textures since he was a baby, and still is to a degree. When he was a baby, any type of baby food with chunks in it would come right back out of his mouth. He also had a huge aversion to chicken which is getting much better as he gets older. Rice was another one of those texture foods and is still hit or miss.

Brian started preschool this past summer and we began to realize that his favorite food is anything crunchy. We refer to them as "crunchies" now. They hide Brian's crunchies from him during lunch until he tries everything else, or else he wouldn't eat anything besides them. I was looking around my kitchen trying to come up with a lunchbox treat for Brian and noticed all the extra cereal I had in the cupboard. I decided to make him a cereal necklace but by the time it was complete it looked more like a cereal bracelet. Whatever you want to call this treat, it has been Brian's absolute favorite so far. He saw it before they could hide it and they said he was trying to rip it apart to get to all the tasty cereal. :o) FINALLY a treat he loves!

I used pull-apart strawberry twizzlers. I pulled one long string section and used that to hold all of the cereal, pretzels and vanilla wafers. I used a toothpick to put holes in the centers of the vanilla wafers, and chex cereal. It was a bit difficult getting the cheerios on the rope but I found the ones with the largest centers and they seemed to work well. The vanilla wafers I used were the mini ones that are 3 or 4 different colors. A definite hit with my sweet little man! :o)

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment